Sunday, May 10, 2009

REI: Membership Has its Rewards

I had the most amazing and unexpected customer service experience today at REI. Two years ago, I purchased the Garmin Forerunner 305 during REI’s May anniversary sale. I loved the device but after only a few months of use the screen started deteriorating. It worked fine but the data was hard to read, which is a problem when you’re tracking your pace during a run.

So today I headed back to REI to check out the latest edition to the Forerunner series – the 405. I brought my 305 with me because I wanted some assurance that I wouldn’t encounter another problem with a malfunctioning screen. Talking to the REI associate about my concerns, I learned that REI offers a lifetime guarantee on any product if it’s purchased under your membership number. No receipt needed. No questions asked. Needless to say, I was shocked and delighted. All I had to do was provide my member number and hand over my Forerunner 305 to get the new 405. I’ve always been a fan of REI because it offers great products and has a knowledgeable sales staff. Now, REI will always be my first choice when I’m looking for athletic gear and apparel.

Special thanks to Meredith and the friendly staff at the REI Atlanta store.

This week’s route is a 5.35 mile run through East Lake, Kirkwood and Oakhurst courtesy of the Oakhurst Running Club. The club meets on Wednesday nights at 7 p.m. in front of One Step at a Time. You’ll find a map for the route at the club’s web site.

· Start at One Step at a Time
· Head west down East Lake Dr
· Veer left on Wisteria Way NE
· Turn right onto Rockyford Rd
· Turn left on College Ave
· Turn left on Howard St
· Turn left on Hosea L Williams Dr
· The street turns into Oakview Rd
· Veer right onto Cottage Grove Ave
· Turn right on 3rd Ave and cross Memorial Dr
· Turn left on Alston Dr
· Turn left on Spence Ave
· Turn right on E. Pharr Rd
· Turn left on Garland Ave
· Turn right on S. McDonough
· Turn left on W. Hill StCross Oakview Rd and end at One Step at a Time

No comments: