Had your fill of Thanksgiving leftovers? Take a break from holiday shopping, eating and parties to hit the road with Atlanta runners. The following races promise a festive atmosphere to get you in the spirit.
Santa’s Safety Run 5K – December 5
Safety is key benefit with this race – proceeds support Inman Park Public Safety. With a great running neighborhood like Inman Park and a start time of 10:30 a.m., what’s not to like about this race? Strollers and dogs are welcome too! Early registration closed today, but you can still sign-up at Active.com or on race day at the event.
Jingle Jog 5K & Elf Run Tot Trot – December 11
The event’s web site promises a festive race – complete with jingle bells for runners’ shoes, food, holiday music and a Santa’s playground complete with pony rides. The Costco parking lot on Peachtree-Dunwoody Road serves as the start and finish line. It you plan to run, please bring a toy - the Salvation Army will be on hand to collect toy donations for its Christmas toy drive. The 5K starts at 8 a.m. and the tot trot kicks-off at 9 a.m.
Virginia-Highland Christmas 5K – December 18
While not the easiest neighborhood to park in, it sure is a great place to run. This annual event is limited to 1,000 runners and organizers expect it to fill-up early. The first 500 registrants get Santa Hats to wear during the race. Runners will line up near Fire Station #19 to start the race. Sign-up available at Phidippides or at Active.com.
ATC Resolution Run 5K & 10K – January 1
For those runners (me included) who indulge a bit too much during the holidays, this race promises to get you on the right track. Fortunately, the race start is at noon – allowing runners a little extra sleep on New Year’s Day. Keep in mind that the 5K and 10K races do not allow strollers – if you want to bring the family, consider the 1-mile fun run and the 50-meter tot trot.
This week’s route is from the Virginia-Highland Christmas 5K. Enjoy!
• West on Los Angeles, Pass Crestridge Drive
• Turn Left on Elkmont Drive
• Turn Right on Park Drive
• Turn Right on Orme Circle
• Turn Right on Elkmont (Orme Circle merges to Elkmont)
• Turn Left on Brookridge Drive
• Turn Left on Amsterdam Ave – Amsterdam merges into Courtenay
• Turn Right on San Antonio Ave
• Turn Left on Amsterdam Ave
• Turn Left on Kings Court
• Bear Right on San Antonio – follow to Courtenay Ave
• Turn Right on Courtenay Ave
• Turn Left on Greenland Ave – stay right on Greenland – merges to Hillpine
• Turn Right on Wayne Ave
• Turn Left on Courtenay Ave
• Turn Left on North Highland Ave and proceed 90 yards to North Morningside Dr
• Turn Left on North Morningside Drive
• Go 1/10th mile and turn Right into Morningside Presbyterian Church lot to the Finish Area