Still shopping for Christmas gifts? Me too. Instead of searching online for the perfect gift, visit your neighborhood running store. You’ll find staff that are passionate about running and can offer good advice on a variety of gift choices. Here in Decatur, we’ve got three terrific options for running gear – One Step at a Time, Fleet Feet and Big Peach Running Company.
I recently stopped by Big Peach Running to get a few recommendations. Here are a few suggestions that were offered:
- Amphipod Xinglet Pocket Reflective Gear – An improvement on the standard reflective vest, the Xinglet provides a better fit and stronger reflectivity. Plus, it features a zipper pocket for i.d., keys or money. My friend Kevin recently bought one and really likes it.
- Black Diamond Sprinter Head Lamp – Safety is always a great consideration for runners’ gifts. This head lamp features lights on both the back and front so cars can see runners in either direction.
- Saucony Epic Run Vest – For the most part, winters tend to be mild in Atlanta. This light-weight vest offers a comfortable alternative to a wind breaker. It also features reflective striping on the front to help keep runners visible to cars.
- Saucony DryLete Ponytail Skull Cap – For those of us with long hair, the ponytail cap is a great gift! It keeps your head warm without having to stuff your hair inside the cap or wear a ponytail at the nap of your neck.
Is your runner already well equipped with gear? Consider these options:
- Sports Massage - Pass on a little pampering to your runner with a gift certificate for a massage. It makes a great gift after a marathon or half-marathon race. Both Massage Envy and Natural Body have locations throughout Atlanta.
- Pedicure - Feet can take a beating from running. Hang nails, ingrown toe nails and black toe are just a few of the problems runners can develop. Stuff your runner’s stocking with a gift certificate to a local nail salon.
- Paid Entry for 2011 Race – Does your runner love to participate in big races? Pre-pay their fee for a running event. Registration is open for the Publix Georgia Marathon and Half-Marathon in March.
Happy holidays and happy running!