While I don’t normally like to venture far from my neighborhood to run, I woke up early this morning to check out the 8 a.m. group runs at West Stride. The drive across Atlanta was worth it. Over 40 runners showed up for training runs for the ING Georgia Marathon and Half-Marathon. Genie Beaver, owner of West Stride, really knows how to pamper runners. Prior to hitting the road, Genie offered free energy supplements to sample, including Jelly Belly Sports Beans, Hammer and Gu. Post run, we were treated to hot coffee, fruit salad and breakfast breads. Runners were also offered a chance to chat with the Adidas rep and try out the Supernova Glide.
Next week, West Stride will host group runs for 8-mile and 16-mile routes. Both the Mizuno ING Pace Team and the Chattahoochee Road Runners will be on hand. Post run, orthopaedic surgeon and sports medicine expert Dr. Thomas Myers will offer advice on running injury prevention and treatment.
If you plan to run the ING Georgia, consider joining Team Tiara. It’s a fundraising effort that supports Girls on the Run (GOTR), which fosters self-confidence and a healthy lifestyle for girls through its running programs. Team Tiara hosts its next group training run at West Stride on February 21st.
This week’s route is the 6.4-mile run from West Stride. You can find the route at Map My Run under my group Atlanta Running.
· Start from West Stride and run south (toward I-75) on Northside Pkwy.
· Turn right on West Paces Ferry and cross the street at the crosswalk
· Turn left on Nancy Creek Rd.
· Head straight on Nancy Creek and cross W. Wesley Rd.
· Turn left on Ridgewood Rd.
· Turn left on Ridgewood Terr.
· Turn left on Moores Mill
· Turn left on Peachtree Battle
· Turn right on Margaret Mitchell Dr.
· Turn left on Ridge Valley Rd.
· Turn right on Wesley Pkwy.
· Turn left on Margaret Mitchell Dr.
· Turn left on W. Wesley Rd.
· Turn right into Westminster complex
· Turn right at first road (no street name) and follow through complex
· Turn right on W. Paces Ferry
· Turn left on Northside Pkwy.
· End at West Stride