Saturday, February 21, 2009

Fundraising through Facebook

As part of my participation in this year’s ING Georgia Half-Marathon, I decided to join Team Tiara to raise money for Girls on the Run Atlanta (GOTR). Through its running programs, GOTR fosters self-confidence and a healthy lifestyle among young girls. Girls ages 8 to 13 are eligible to participate. Programs are offered at local schools, YMCAs, and Girls, Inc. sites. As a mother of a young girl, I can really relate to the ideals of this organization.

By joining Team Tiara, I’m committed to raising at least $262 for Girls on the Run. It’s been quite a while since I’ve had to solicit money for a race. In the past, I would have pleaded for donations from family members or co-workers through phone calls or posters displayed in my office. This time, I’m going to turn to Facebook. Since joining the social networking site last year, I’ve re-connected with college and high school friends to grow my personal network to over 100 people. If just half of my Facebook friends contribute $10 each, I’ll raise $500. The Facebook e-mail is going out today. Wish me luck.

If you like this blog, please consider helping me support Girls on the Run by donating at my fundraising page.

This week’s route is the 11-mile route I ran this morning from West Stride. You can find the route at Map My Run under my group Atlanta Running.

· Start from West Stride and run south (toward I-75) on Northside Pkwy.
· Turn right on West Paces Ferry and cross the street at the crosswalk
· Turn left on Nancy Creek Rd.
· Head straight on Nancy Creek and cross W. Wesley Rd.
· Turn right on Ridgewood Rd.
· Cross W. Wesley Rd (the road is a loop)
· Turn left on W. Wesley Rd
· Turn right on Rivermeade Ln
· Turn left on Rivermeade Dr.
· Turn left on Rivermead Way
· Turn right on Nancy Creek Rd.
· Turn left on Ridgewood Rd.
· Turn right on Nancy Creek Rd
· Turn left on Ridgewood Rd
· Turn left on Ridgewood Terr
· Turn left on Moores Mill
· Turn left on Peachtree Battle
· Turn right on Margaret Mitchell Dr.
· Turn left on Ridge Valley Rd.
· Turn left on Sequoyah Dr
· Turn right on W. Wesley Rd.
· Turn left into Westminster complex
· Turn right at first road (no street name) and follow through complex
· Turn right on W. Paces Ferry
· Turn left on Northside Pkwy.
· End at West Stride

No comments: