Monday, November 9, 2009

I’m on a Mission for a Stronger Immune System

A nasty respiratory virus has been making its way around Atlanta and I fell victim to it last month. Chest-aching cough and blocked sinuses delivered nearly four weeks of misery. Ever since I became a mom, I’ve had a tough time fighting off colds and viruses. Getting sick becomes a real challenge when you’re training for a race. Losing a week or two of running can derail a meticulously planned training schedule.

Over the next few weeks, I’m going to research information on boosting my immune system. My search will include conversations with co-workers, friends and medical practitioners, web surfing news and health sites, and flipping through recent issues of Runner’s World. I expect to get lots of input on diet, but I’m wondering what else I’ll learn. Does sleep make a big difference? Will over-the-counter vitamins and supplements offer a meaningful boost? I’ll provide updates on my search at this blog. I’d love to hear your opinions and advice.

1 comment:

The Savvy Runner said...

Hi Debbie,

I always enjoyed your posts on Traxee. I used to write as The Roads Scholar and BennettC.

Since June,I've been publishing Women's Running Update, a FREE weekly online newsletter for smart women runners who want to run faster, longer and more consistently. You’ll receive insider secrets, articles and practical tips that YOU can easily apply to help YOU achieve your objectives for running, racing and a healthy lifestyle.

In a back issue, I wrote an article "The Cold War - How to Stay Healthy Post-Race", as well as two articles on the important role that sleep plays in recovery from training and enhancing your immune system.

If you sign up for my FREE newsletter at www.womensrunningupdate.com, I will email you the links to these articles.

Happy Running,


Bennett Cohen
The Savvy Runner