Friday, August 15, 2008

Recovering from an Injury

As a runner, there’s nothing worse than suffering from an injury. I was recently sidelined for a week while I dealt with a bruised toe. My options were (1) become a coach potato and fight the urge to raid the fridge or (2) find an alternative activity to running. Sometimes it was hard to make the smart choice. Depending on the nature of the injury, swimming, biking or the elliptical cycle can be a good option. Since I belong to a gym with a pool, I swim to supplement my running. It’s a nice break from sweating and I like the challenge of working different muscle groups. Plus it’s a great cardiovascular workout.

What’s your alternative to running? Share your feedback by commenting at this blog.

For this week, the featured route is the 5-mile loop at Stone Mountain Park. The directions listed below are also available at the Stone Mountain Park site. You can access a map of this route at Map My Run under my group Atlanta Running.

Stone Mountain Park – 5 mile loop
· Start from the main parking lot near the railroad depot
· Head west on Robert E. Lee Blvd (turn right, facing the railroad tracks)
· At the 2-mile mark, stay straight on Robert E. Lee (the 8-mile loop turns right on Stonewall Jackson Drive)
· The 5-mile loop ends at the railroad depot

No comments: