I kicked-off my training last week for the ZOOMA Atlanta Half-Marathon with an 8.5 mile run. Yesterday’s long run was a fantastic 9.5-mile route through Decatur, Lake Claire and Druid Hills. With the arrival of cooler fall weather, I’m looking forward to long weekend runs as I prepare for the race. The ZOOMA Atlanta site features training stories from two women bloggers. For additional training inspiration, read the blogs from other women runners that are linked to the ZOOMA site.
Runner’s World is also a great resource for training information. Look for the article on half-marathon training from Doug Rennie. It includes recommended training schedules for novice, intermediate and advanced road race runners. You’ll also find some great blogs at the magazine’s site, such as Marathon Moms. Bloggers Dimity and Sarah write about the challenges of balancing family time and work demands with fitness and training schedules.
This week’s route is a 9.5-mile loop, courtesy of the Big Peach Running Co. in Decatur. You can find the route at Map My run under my group Atlanta Running.
Decatur – 9.5-Mile Route
· Start at Big Peach Running Co. and turn left on E. Trinity Pl.
· Follow E. Trinity across the railroad tracks onto N. Candler St.
· Turn right on Green St. and run through the nature path
· Cross over S. McDonough onto Oakview Rd.
· Stay straight on Oakview and turn right onto E. Lake Dr.
· Stay on E. Lake through Oakhurst and into Lake Claire
· Cross over the railroad tracks and turn left on Ridgecrest Rd.
· Turn right onto McClendon Ave.
· Run up and down the hill on McClendon
· Turn right on Lakeshore Dr.
· Stay straight onto N. Ponce de Leon Ave.
· Take a slight left turn onto Ponce de Leon Ave.
· Take a slight right onto W. Ponce de Leon Ave.
· Turn right onto W. Trinity at the church
· Turn left onto Commerce Dr.
· Turn left onto Clairmont Ave
· Turn right onto Scott Blvd.
· Turn right onto Willow Lane
· Turn left onto Church St.
· Turn right onto Forkner Dr.
· Turn right onto Sycamore Dr.
· Cross E. Ponce de Leon and stay on Sycamore
· Cross Commerce and turn left onto Candler St.
· Turn right on E. Trinity Place and return to Big Peach Running Co.