Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fueling Long Runs

I’m a bit delayed in posting this week’s blog. I blame it on my preoccupation with the gas shortage in Atlanta. It seemed appropriate to base this week’s post on fuel … that is, fueling your energy level for long runs.

For my long runs (anything over 7 miles), I rely on Luna Moons to sustain my energy. They’re easy to chew and less messy than gels. Some of my friends like the Clif Shots Bloks, which are ice-cube sized chews. Regardless of your preference, what’s important to keep in mind is consuming a drink or food that provides the right balance of water, carbohydrates and electrolytes to replenish essential minerals that you burn during runs.

In the July issue of Runner’s World, Sarah Bowen Shea wrote about choosing the right beverage to fuel your run. Key factors to consider when determining what to drink during your run are the length of run, the temperature, and your pace. I also found a great article on what to eat and drink at Run Gear Run.

This week’s route is an 11-mile loop that I ran today. You can find the route at Map My run under my group Atlanta Running.

Decatur to Druid Hills – 11 Mile Route

· Start at Fellini’s, located at the corner of Commerce and Sycamore Place
· Stay on Sycamore Place, running past Fellini’s
· Turn right on Howard Ave
· Stay on Howard and run past Decatur H.S. and East Lake Marta Station
· Turn right on Ridgecrest
· Turn left on McClendon Ave
· Stay on McClendon until you reach Little Five Points
· Turn right on Moreland Ave
· Stay on Moreland and cross Ponce de Leon Ave
· Moreland turns into Briarcliff
· From Briarcliff, turn right on N. Decatur Rd
· Turn right on Springdale
· Stay on Springdale and cross Ponce de Leon
· Turn left on Ponce de Leon and take it back to Downtown Decatur
· Turn right on Church St
· Turn left on Sycamore St
· Turn right on Sycamore Place
· Turn left on Commerce
· At College, turn left and run back up Commerce to Fellini’s

No comments: