Thursday, July 24, 2008

Why do I run?

Like me, a lot of people I know started running for the physical benefits (e.g. managing weight and building endurance). But over time, I’ve found that the mental aspects of running start to matter more.

What do I mean? Running helps me unwind when I’ve had a stressful day. As a working mom, it’s often the only time during the day that I have to myself. Morning runs help me mentally prepare for my day, while evening runs relax my body and calm my mood.

Why do you run? Please share your thoughts by contributing comments to this blog.

This week’s featured run comes from Big Peach Running Company in Decatur. It’s a 6.88 mile route through Decatur, Oakhurst and Druid Hills. You can access a map of this route at Map My Run under my group Atlanta Running.

Decatur – 6.88 miles

· Start at Big Peach Running Company on E. Trinity Place
· Turn left on Trinity and head towards S. Candler Street
· At the Dairy Queen, turn right onto S. Candler Street and cross the railroad tracks
· Turn right on E. Davis Street
· Turn left on S. McDonough Street
· Turn right on Oakview
· From Oakview, turn right onto E. Lake Drive
· Stay on E. Lake, passing the Baptist church and the Marta Station
· Turn left onto Ponce de Leon Ave
· At the sign for Deepdene Park, cross Ponce and turn right on N. Ponce de Leon Ave
· At the end of N. Ponce de Leon, turn left on Ponce de Leon Ave
· Take Ponce back into Decatur
· Turn left on Commerce Drive
· Turn right on College Avenue
· Turn right on S. McDonough (run past Decatur H.S.)
· Turn right on Trinity
· Stop at the start point (Big Peach Running Company)

No comments: