Don't use headphones or other devices that distract you from your surroundings.
Take personal identification, emergency phone numbers, and a medical insurance card. Road I.D. offers wearable i.d. tags designed for athletes.
Run with a Partner.
There's safety in numbers. Join a running group or run with a dog. Most running stores in Atlanta host weekly group runs.
Wear Reflective Apparel.
Make sure that cars and cyclists can see you if you run in the morning or evening.
Bring Pepper Spray.
Protect yourself from stray dogs or attackers. Pepper spray is available in runner-friendly containers at most sporting-goods stores.
Carry a Cell Phone.
Make sure you can contact help if you're injured or lost during a run.
This week's featured running route is Oakhurst, which is a great neighborhood in Decatur. The route is also available at my group page Atlanta Running.
Oakhurst - 3.65 miles
- Start at the Dairy Queen on E. Trinity in Decatur.
- Cross over the railroad tracks and W. College Ave towards S. Candler St.
- Stay on S. Candler St. and run past Agnes Scott College.
- Turn right on E. Davis St.
- Turn left on S. McDonough St.
- At the traffic light, turn right on W. Hill St.
- At Oakhurst Village, cross Oakview Rd. and turn right on E. Lake Dr.
- Follow E. Lake through Oakhurst (run under the railroad tracks and College Ave.)
- At the traffic light for Paden Circle, turn left and run uphill past the Marta parking lot.
- Turn left on W. Howard Ave.
- Follow W. Howard back to the Dairy Queen (the street merges into College Ave.)